What Is a Mesothelioma Law Firm?
Mesothelioma law firms focus on asbestos litigation. They specialize in handling personal injury lawsuits, wrongful death lawsuits and trust fund claims asbestos mesothelioma lawyers for patients and families facing mesothelioma.
The nation’s top mesothelioma law firms have years of experience aiding those with suspected asbestos exposure. Teams of specialized legal experts know the best ways to secure compensation to help pay for personalized cancer treatment and other expenses.
Mesothelioma law firms have developed a deep knowledge and emotional understanding of mesothelioma and how stressful it is to navigate cancer treatment and health insurance. They understand how a terminal cancer diagnosis affects families and how important it is to spend precious time with loved ones.
Why You Need a Law Firm Specializing in Asbestos Exposure Cases
Hiring an experienced asbestos law firm is your family’s best step toward securing mesothelioma compensation. These specialized firms tend to focus solely on asbestos cases and offer unparalleled expertise in this area of law.
- Streamlined Process: An asbestos firm’s background and knowledge translate into a more effortless experience for you and your family throughout the legal process.
- Complex State Laws: Asbestos litigation laws are challenging to understand and vary by state, making a nationwide firm the best way to secure compensation.
- Asbestos Databases: These firms have developed extensive resources to help build your case, including asbestos product databases and historical case records.
- Substantial Rewards: A significant amount of money is at stake in a mesothelioma lawsuit, which can cover treatment costs, end-of-life expenses, travel, lodging and more.
National mesothelioma law firms have litigated cases and trust fund claims nationwide. Choosing a nationwide firm gives you access to a network of attorneys with asbestos case expertise in each state who will determine the proper jurisdiction for filing your claim and maximizing your recovery.
How To Choose a Mesothelioma Law Firm
Mesothelioma law firms specialize in asbestos cases. The first thing to attorney mesothelioma look for when doing your research is their years of experience and a history of success. The top asbestos law firms in the U.S. have a team of qualified attorneys who understand what you and your loved ones are facing and can give you confidence when pursuing your legal options.
1. Lawyers Who Understand Mesothelioma and Asbestos
Asbestos law firms have intimate knowledge of the different types of asbestos-related diseases and understand how this impacts the patient and the legal process. They know what top mesothelioma lawyers you and your family are going through and how treatment may affect your ability to attend a trial.
The teams of experts at these firms advocate for expedited trial dates and quick settlements based on the state asbestos laws that apply to your claim. They’ll also conduct depositions as soon as possible to avoid statutes of limitations, letting you focus on your medical care.
2. Ability to Document Asbestos Exposure
Firms specializing in asbestos have a wealth of deep industry resources and proprietary asbestos databases filled with information about asbestos products and contaminated job sites.
3. No Upfront Legal Costs and a Free Case Evaluation
Not every firm offers a free case evaluation, but dedicated mesothelioma law firms typically provide free evaluations, leveraging their nationwide network of mesothelioma cancer attorney of attorneys. It is more challenging for local firms to provide this service because they operate on a smaller scale.
The best firms also work on a contingency fee basis, which means you only pay them if they recover compensation for you. You don’t pay for their legal services if they don’t win your case
4. Record of Winning Large Verdicts and Settlements
National firms tend to have the best track record of securing compensation for victims of asbestos exposure. This kind of compensation helps families afford medical treatment, deal with lost wages and handle other expenses such as in-home nursing care.
For example, Weitz & Luxenberg won a multimillion-dollar settlement in 2021 for a Navy veteran who died of mesothelioma. Simmons Hanly Conroy recovered $34 million in 2019 from Ford Motor Company for a mechanic with mesothelioma. Not every case results in multimillion-dollar verdicts, but an experienced firm increases your chance of substantial compensation
5. A Lawyer That Makes You Feel Comfortable
Mesothelioma law firms understand that travel is difficult when you’ve been diagnosed with cancer. One of the most significant benefits of choosing a nationwide firm is its willingness to travel to you or meet virtually, no matter where you live, with more scheduling availability than local firms.
A good legal team will provide examples of its success and explain fees upfront. You’ll have time to learn about their attorneys and what makes their firm unique. Mesothelioma attorneys regularly update their clients on progress and often have the experience to anticipate their client’s needs.
Working with a Mesothelioma Law Firm
Your attorney will guide you through each step of the lawsuit and help you understand your legal options. They will listen to your concerns and address any questions about the process. The attorney will gather evidence to prepare your case, file a claim in the proper jurisdiction and handle any responses from defendants.
What Is the Legal Process Like?
The legal process begins with finding a mesothelioma law firm and scheduling a consultation so you can learn more about the firm and they can learn more about your case.
- Free Consultation: The best mesothelioma law firms offer free consultations and case reviews. During this meeting you can ask questions about the firm’s history of success, and the firm will ask you about the patient’s diagnosis and work history.
Documenting Exposure History: If the law firm believes you have a case, they will start to build it by gathering evidence to support your claim. In addition to a lawsuit, they may recommend you file for a trust fund or via the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Filing Claims: Once your case is built and supported by evidence, your lawyer will file the claim in the proper state or jurisdiction or with the appropriate asbestos trust fund. Your claim may be valid in multiple states, depending on the statute of limitations.
- Discovery Process: A discovery period will follow for lawsuits, or a claim review will follow for trust fund claims. Your lawyer will handle every aspect of the legal process, and they will coach you through any interviews or depositions you may need to provide
- Compensation Distribution: If your claim is successful, your lawyer will most likely be the one to distribute compensation to you. You may choose between a lump sum or receiving payments in installments.
If you have questions about the legal process, you should speak with a lawyer to learn more about it and how federal and state laws may impact your case.